The Asian elephant or Asiatic elephant (Elephas maximus) are smaller than their African savannah relatives (Loxodonta africana) and have many other physical features that distinguish them. The ears are smaller and the back is more rounded so that the crown of the head is the highest point of the body. One of the characteristic features of an elephant are the modified incisor teeth which are known as tusks, however, only some male Asian elephants have tusks, whilst females (cows) have 'tushes' instead, that are seldom visible. Elephants support their stocky body on stout, pillar-like legs, and the nose and upper lip are joined and elongated into a trunk. The trunk provides a wide variety of functions from feeding, vocalization, bathing, and fighting; those of the Asian elephant have only a single finger-like process on the base, whilst the African elephant has two. The thick, wrinkly skin covering the body is a greyish-brown color and very dry. Asian elephants are very important in the religious and cultural history of the region in which they live. Asian elephants eat up to 150kg of food and defecate up to 18 times a day. The Asian elephant has been a contributor to Asian society over many centuries. It has especially made a huge, considerable impact on Thailand. So much so, that it has also become the country's official national animal. As female, they don't have any tusks. They're more tamed and famous than their African cousins.
Asian Elephant Subspecies
- Borneo Elephant
- Indian Elephant
- Mainland Asian Elephant
- Sri Lankan Elephant
- Sumatran Elephant
- Sunda Island Elephant
- Syrian Elephant
- It played Louis in The Doe and the Puffball
- It played Oaken in Frozen (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Sulley in Asian Animals, Inc.
- It played Brachiosaurus in ASIAN ANIMAL
- It played Flik, Princess Atta, Dot and the other ants in An Asian Animal's Life
- It played Woog in We're Back! An Asian Animal's Story
- It played Dim in A Wildlife's Life (Version 2)
- It played WiiU in Asian Animal Illusion
- It played Wreck-It Ralph in Wreck-It Ralph (Samwei1234 Version)
- It played Charlie in We Bare Pachyderms and We Bare Pachyderms: The Movie
- It played Woolly Mammoth in Monsoon Age Series
- It played Panda in We Bare Elephants and We Bare Elephants: The Movie
- It played Buttercup in The Powerpuff Elephants, The Powerpuff Elephants Movie, and The Powerpuff Elephants (2016)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.