Instantly recognisable as the national emblem of the United States, the bald eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus, Say it: HAL-ay-ee-TUSS loo-cock-EFF-al-USS) has long been a key symbol in the human cultures of the Americas. The second largest North American bird of prey after the Californian condor, the bald eagle is also the only eagle solely native to North America. The bald eagle is named after its conspicuous white (but fully-feathered) head. The bald eagle’s head is fully feathered, and contrasts strongly with the dark brown body and wings. The tail is also white, and the legs, eye and large beak are bright yellow. The wings are long and broad, and the tail rounded. The female bald eagle is larger than the male, but otherwise similar in appearance. The call of this species is relatively weak, seeming rather inadequate for such a large bird. The juvenile bald eagle can be recognised by its entirely dark brown plumage, mottled with white, and by the dark eye and beak. It takes at least five years to reach full adult plumage. Although similar in appearance to the golden eagle, Aquila chrysaetos, the juvenile bald eagle can be distinguished by its unfeathered lower legs. Spectacular, acrobatic flight displays reinforce the bonds between life-long bald eagle pairs.
- It played Abraham Lincoln in The Animal Movie (NatureRules1 Version)
- It (along with Common Raven) played Ruppell's Griffon Vulture in The Grizzly King and The Grizzly King II: Simba's Pride
- They (along with Common Ravens) played the Vultures in The North America Book
- They played Hopper, Thumper, and the Grasshoppers (along with Common Ravens, American Crows, Black-Billed Magpies and Common Grackles) in A Wildlife's Life
- It played Pteranodon in AMERICAN ANIMAL
- It played Quetzalcoatlus (Pterosaur) in Walking With Yellowstone Animals
- It played Soldier in Team Fortress 2 (NatureRules1 Style)
- It played Pterodactyl in Gravity Falls (NatureRules1 Style)
- It played Peter Pan and Tiger Lily in Peter Pan (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Elsa in We're Back!: A Yellowstone Animal's Story and We're Back! An American Animal's Story
- It played Jason/Red Ranger in Beastly Morphin Power Rangers
- It played Nigel Uno/Numbuh 1 in Codename: Raptors Next Door
- It played Braviary in Pokémon (Samwei1234 Version)
- It played Four in Battle For BFNAI
- It played The Mighty Eagle (same species) in The Angry Animals Movie (NatureRules1 and Samwei1234 Version)
Is a Crocodile a Reptile?
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.