Belle is a large tank engine with water cannons who is part of the Search and Rescue Team.
Thomas & Friends
When Belle first arrived on Sodor, she helped Thomas and Percy put out a fire at an old farm shed. Belle later advised the Fat Controller to bring Flynn to Sodor. When the Vicarstown Dieselworks was on fire, Belle and Flynn put out the fire just in time.
Belle later tried to befriend Toby when she learned that they both had bells. At first, she did not understand that Toby was an older engine that may not like the same things she does. Upon realising her mistake, they quickly became firm friends.
When some railway inspectors questioned whether the Fat Controller needed two fire engines, Belle and Flynn became worried. She beat Flynn to two consecutive fires, but tried to comfort him when he subsequently became depressed (though her words did not do much to lift Flynn's spirits). She stayed on guard at the fireworks display at Ulfstead Castle when Flynn refused to do it; when Flynn was called to another fire at Brendam Docks, they both realised that Sodor really does need two fire engines after all.
When a whale was beached at Bluff's Cove, Belle and the rest of the Rescue team came to help put it back in the water. She suggested Toad sing to it while they took it to Brendam to be released back into the ocean. She and the other members of the Rescue Centre attended the team's 1000th rescue and helped out Percy and Diesel at the Old Quarry. After Rocky fell off the tracks near Ulfstead Castle from rescuing Henry, Belle, Flynn, Butch and Harold came to lift him back onto the rails. Unfortunately, they kept arguing about who was the best choice to do so until Thomas snapped their argument and told them that they needed to work together. They all agreed and pulled Rocky back onto the tracks.
One summer, she and Flynn were busy putting out fires caused by the boiling summer weather. They came across a stretch of buckled track, where Flynn suggested that Belle pour water on the rails to prevent further buckling. Belle, however, decided to keep her remaining water in case they came across another fire. This decision came back to bite her, as she later derailed on the buckled tracks while responding to an emergency. Luckily, Flynn was able to extinguish the fire and Thomas brought Rocky to put her back on the rails.
Belle is a bold, big, blue tank engine, who is fitted with two water cannons atop her tanks, from which she can shoot water to fight fires. She also has a whistle and a big brass bell. Belle is lively, loud and proud, with a big personality. While she may come across as bolshy, highly self-assertive and overwhelming, Belle will always have the best of intentions at heart. She always wants to do her best and be the best she can be, causing her to be daring, energetic and bursting with enthusiasm. But Belle is happy to talk to any engine or vehicle and, although she may be quick to jump in with her own ideas, she always tries to understand, help and be kind to others. As a result, she is a very likable engine; even Cranky gets on with her, she gets on well with Thomas and can even hold a civil conversation with Diesel. But she works especially well with Flynn, when helping him to tackle fires and is always there to support him should he make a mistake. Although fighting fires is always at the top of her list of priorities, Belle has also been known to perform goods duties about the railway.
Belle is a British Railways Standard Class 4 tank engine with added water cannons, brass bell, and electric headlamps on her bufferbeam and above her face.
Belle is painted royal blue with red and gold lining and brass fittings. She has the number "6120" painted in gold on her side tanks and a coat of arms consisting of a flame, two dolphins and a crown painted on her bunker sides. Her water cannons and wheels are painted red, with the latter having blue rims.
- Season 15 - Surprise, Surprise (cameo), Stuck on You (cameo), Big Belle and Kevin the Steamie (cameo)
- Season 16 - Ol' Wheezy Wobbles (cameo) and Muddy Matters (cameo)
- Season 17 - Too Many Fire Engines
- Season 18 - Spencer's VIP (cameo) and Millie and the Volcano (mentioned)
- Season 19 - Toad and the Whale, Wild Water Rescue (cameo) and Rocky Rescue
- Day of the Diesels
- King of the Railway
- The Great Race
- 2011 - Big Belle (speaks in speech bubble only)
- 2012 - The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 639), The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 643), Big Belle (speaks in speech bubble only), and The Fat Controller's Bedtime Story (Issue 650)
- 2013 - Toby to the Rescue and Too Many Fire Engines!
- Teresa Gallagher (UK/US; fifteenth season onwards)
- Keiko Nemoto (Japan)
- Lena Meieran (Norway; fifteenth season only)
- Marianne Westby (Norway; Day of the Diesels onwards, excluding the seventeenth season)
- Marit Berg (Norway; seventeenth season only)
- Susa Saukko (Finland; Day of the Diesels onwards)
- Angela Quast (Germany; Day of the Diesels and fifteenth season)
- Monika Hein (Germany; King of the Railway onwards)
- Anna Gajewska (Poland)
- Blanche Ravalec (France and French speaking Canada)
- Mayra Arellano (Latin America)
- Talya Barkay (Israel)
- Marloes van den Heuvel (The Netherlands)
- Mercedes Espinosa (Spain)
- Corina Cernea (Romania)
- Olga Kuznetsova (Russia)
- Belle's name is French for "pretty", and references the bell on her boiler.
- Despite being voiced by the same actress in both the UK and US dubs, Teresa Gallagher gives Belle a different accent in the US dub as opposed to the UK dub.
- Percy: "I've never seen an engine do that before!"
- Thomas: "Yes, one that shoots water from her tanks!"
- Belle: "You must be Thomas and Percy. I'm Belle!"
- Percy: "You're big, Belle!"
- Thomas: "You're brave, Belle!"
- Belle: "I just want to be really useful!"
- Belle meets Thomas and Percy, "Day of the Diesels".
- Flynn: "Belle, you've already put out the fire. Why didn't you wait for me? I could've helped you!"
- Belle: "Fires are emergencies, Flynn. You know that. You can't wait if there's an emergency."
- Narrator: But Flynn was disappointed again!
- Belle: "Never mind, Flynn. It wasn't a very big fire."
- Flynn: "What you mean is you didn't need any help. You did it all by yourself!"
- Flynn gets jealous of Belle, "Too Many Fire Engines", seventeenth season.
- Wooden Railway
- Motor Road and Rail (Asia only)
- Take-n-Play (normal and talking)
- Wind-up (Japan and Australia only)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Boss (pullback; discontinued)
- Collectible Railway
- Push Along
- Capsule Collection (discontinued)
- Minis (Classic, DC Super Friends Batgirl and Raven; coming soon)
- Thomas and Friends Adventures (coming soon)
Template:North Western Railway
Main Article: Belle the Fire Engine/Gallery