|DEBUT||1991-1998 (2001, 2002, 2005)|
Benny, hopping mad as a bellhop at The Furry Arms.
Benny Rabbit is a cranky rabbit who serves as a bellhop for the Furry Arms hotel on Sesame Street. In one skit, Benny had a job working in a car rental place.
Benny is easily irritated and frequently yells at others. His outbursts are preceded by a variation of the comedic "slow-burn," as he grits his two front teeth until a small squeak is emitted. His personality is very similar to Oscar the Grouch, who shares similar character traits.
Benny seldom does anything nice for another person and whenever someone asks him for a favor, he says he has to go downtown. He hates being touched and hugged, but his biggest pet peeve is when people address him as "Bunny" rather than Benny.
Benny was introduced in Sesame Street Episode 2815 (1991) as a generic rabbit character, and was then hired to work for the Furry Arms hotel in 1993. Although briefly retired in 1998, he resurfaced in Season 32. He occasionally performed such songs as "Do the Benny Hop," "14 Carrot Love," and "Don't Touch Me."
- Sesame Street
- Sesame Street Stays Up Late
- Don't Forget to Watch the Movie
- A Brief History of Motion Pictures
- 123 Count With Me
- Bert and Ernie's Word Play
- Around the Corner on Sesame Street (1994)
- Baby Natasha in "Say Cheese!" (1994)
- Ready, Set, Go! A Counting Book (1995)
- Elmo's Lift-and-Peek Around the Corner Book (1996)
- Rise and Shine! (1996; reworked as Up, Up, Up! in 2011)
- The Sesame Street Word Book (1998)
- The Furry Arms Hotel (2001)
- Benny Rabbit bean toy
- In a 1998 episode, it is revealed that Benny has upwards of fourteen brothers and sisters, whose names include Cottontail, Mugsy, Curly, Moe and Zeppo. Benny also keeps a collection of photos of his other relatives in his wallet; including his uncle Harvey (who's partially visible in the photo, referencing the Jimmy Stewart film Harvey), and his uncle Bobby who runs a hair salon. Most of his family have a striking resemblance to Benny himself.
- Sherrynetherland calls Benny "Benjamin" at times