Along with the giant eland (Tragelaphus derbianus), the common eland (Tragelaphus oryx) is one of the largest antelopes in existence. Its coat is tan, fawn or tawny coloured, turning slightly bluish-grey on the neck and shoulders with age, and a short dark mane runs down the back of the neck. Both male and female common eland possess horns that rise with a slight twist, back from the head to sharp points. The horns of the male are more robust and bear more distinct ridges than those of the female. The massive adult males can also be recognised by the large fold of loose skin that hangs below the throat (the dewlap), and the patch of long, coarse, dark hair on the forehead. These features become respectively larger and bushier with age. The common eland has a fairly small and pointed mouth and muzzle, small, narrow ears, and a long tail with a tuft of black hair at the tip. A distinct clicking sound can be heard as the common eland roams around its habitat; this unusual and distinctive feature is believed to be the result of two halves of the hoof knocking together when the foot is raised, or by the movement of bones in the leg.
- It played Edward in Thomas and Friends (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Sirena (Mermaid) in Mako Antelope
- It played Kentrosaurus in Serengeti Age 3: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
- It played White Diamond in Shane Universe
- It played Madison in Totally Antelope
- It played Felicity Fences in Totally Horned Animals