The warthog is one of the most distinctive of all wild pigs, the warthog (Phacochoerus africanus) is named for the two prominent pairs of large, fleshy protuberances that project from the male’s head. This species possesses relatively long legs for a pig, which support a barrel-shaped body, sparsely covered with dark-brown to blackish hair. The large head is broad at the rear, tapering towards the snout, with two upwardly curved upper tusks, measuring 26 to 64 cm in the male and 15 to 26 cm in the female, projecting from the mouth, along with two shorter, sharper lower tusks. A white fringe of hair runs along a ridge-like fold of skin on the cheek, while a long dark mane extends from the nape of the neck to the middle of the back, where there is a gap, before continuing to the rump. A characteristic feature of the warthog is that when running, the tail is held straight and upright. This species is highly vocal, producing a range of grunts, growls, snorts and squeals, which serve functions such as greetings, maintaining contact and threat displays.
Common Warthog Subspecies
- They played Emmet Brickowski (along with Meerkat), Barry, Demolition Guy and the construction workers (along with Meerkats) in The Animal Movie (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Squirrel in Bambi (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Guard in Warthog Form in The Mallard's New Groove
- It played Rajah in Aladdin (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Cogsworth in Beauty and the Wildebeest
- It played Toby in The Great Elephant Detective
- It played Thaddeus "Phlegm" Bile in African Animals, Inc.
- It played Patrick Star in Spongebob Squarepants (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Whiff in Thomas and Friends (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Dollar in African Animal Mayhem
- It played Liverpool in Animal Lockdown
- It played Seal in We Bare Lizards and We Bare Lizards: The Movie