Other than man, the large, slender cougar (Puma concolor), also called the mountain lion, catamount, puma, or even panther, has the greatest natural distribution of any terrestrial mammal in the Western Hemisphere. The mountain lion is powerfully built and extremely agile. These cats are characterised by a long body with unusually long hindlimbs, thought to be an adaptation to bursts of high-speed running and jumping, used to chase and ambush prey. The cat has a long neck, a small, broad head, short, rounded ears that are black on the back, and a long, cylindrical tail with a black tip. The coat is of uniform colour, hence the Latin name, concolor, varying from silvery-grey through tawny-yellow to light reddish brown. The throat, chest and belly are a pale buff to whitish colour and the sides of the muzzle are framed in black. Faint horizontal stripes may occasionally be seen on the upper forelegs, and melanism has been widely reported though not confirmed. Young kittens are spotted, with blue eyes. Males rarely weigh more than 100 kilograms, and depending on sex and age, tend to be larger in the north of their range, and the coat is generally longer to insulate against extreme temperatures. The mountain lion holds the record for the mammal with the most common names, with over 40 known names in English alone. A widespread species, the mountain lion can be found in many diverse habitats, including deserts, rainforests and mountains. Mountain lions produce a variety of vocalisations, but cannot roar.
- North American Cougar (Puma concolor couguar)
- Eastern South American Cougar (Puma concolor anthonyi)
- Costa Rican Cougar (Puma concolor costaricensis)
- Florida Panther (Puma concolor coryi)
- It played Cheetah in The Grizzly King and The Grizzly King II: Simba's Pride
- It played Tyrannosaurus rex in North American Age series
- It played Gorgosaurus in Walking With Yellowstone Animals
- They played Mowgli and Shanti in The North America Book
- It played Killer Whale in Norm of the North (NatureRules1 Verison)
- It played Drago's Bewilderbeast in Kingdom Hearts XD (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Morgana in The Little Mer-Vixen II: Return to the Sea (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Mr. Waternoose in American Animals, Inc. and Yellowstone Animals, Inc.
- It played Ms. Flint in Carnivorans, Inc.
- It played Kuki Sanban/Numbuh 3 in Codename: Yellowstone Animals Next Door
- It played Carnotaurus in YELLOWSTONE ANIMAL
- It played Fries in Battle For North American Island
- It played Charlie in We Bare Felids and We Bare Felids: The Movie
- It played Panda in We Bare American Animals and We Bare American Animals: The Movie
- It played Peter "Claws" Ward in Wild Animals, Inc. (NatureRules1 and GavenLovesAnimals Style)
- It played Ice Bear in We Bare Mountain Animals and We Bare Mountain Animals: The Movie
Big Cats (Eye Wonder)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.