Spectacularly tall, the giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) has a very long neck with a short, upstanding mane, and high shoulders that slope steeply to the hindquarters. The legs are also long. The giraffe’s neck is made up of the same number of neck bones (vertebrae) as most mammals, including humans, but they are much larger and linked by ball and socket joints for improved flexibility. The specific name of the giraffe comes from the Latin ‘camelopardalis’, meaning ‘camel marked like a leopard’, owing to their buff background with brown blotches, which helps to camouflage them in the dappled light and shade patterns created by the trees they feed on.
- Masai Giraffe
- Kordofan Giraffe
- West African Giraffe
- Nubian Giraffe
- Reticulated Giraffe
- Rothschild's Giraffe
- Southern Giraffe
- It played Slim in A Wildlife's Life
- It played Nicholas "Lanky" Schimdt in African Animals, Inc.
- It played Andrina in The Little Mer-Vixen (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played the Statue of Liberty in The Animal Movie (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Tyrannosaurus Dinozord in Beastly Morphin Power Rangers
- It played Dweeb in We're Back!: A Jungle Mammal's Story (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Apatosaurus in Jurassic Park Series (NatureRules1 Version) and Walking With Species
- It played Charlie in We Bare African Animals and We Bare African Animals: The Movie