Harvey is a tank engine with a crane mounted on top of his boiler, which makes him look rather unusual. He is involved in repair, recovery and industrial jobs on the railway.
When Harvey first came to the island, the engines said he looked different and all the engines except Thomas did not trust Harvey, but when he rescued Percy after an accident with some Troublesome Trucks at a bridge, they realised that his difference was what made him special. Since then, he has proved very useful, using his crane arm for maintenance, building and clearing up. He mainly works at Brendam and the yard, but his favourite place to be is at the Water Works, where he is said to live.
Since his addition to the railway, Harvey has helped after many accidents, but he could not do it alone, so Rocky was brought to help.
In the seventeenth season, Bill and Ben made fun of Harvey for being both a crane and an engine. However, Porter helped Harvey see to the positives of being a crane engine. The dock manager asked Harvey to deliver flatbeds of scrap metal to Vicarstown since Edward had been delayed, but because he wasn't paying attention when he was going down Gordon's Hill, his flatbeds derailed and made a terrible mess. Fortunately for Harvey, he was able to use his crane to clear it up and was able to deliver the cargo. He also helped Thomas back onto the rails after an accident.
In the eighteenth season, Harvey helped Samson with the building of The Earl's new Dinosaur Park and later helped Samson with collecting track side scrap for the scrapyards while Scruff was being repaired.
In the twentieth season, Harvey helped lift Percy's brakevan back on the tracks after Thomas crashed into it when he was being pushed down the hill by the Troublesome Trucks, and helped lift a fallen tree off the tracks after Skiff was able to warn Duck and Oliver about it before they crashed.
In the twenty-first season, Diesel tried to make mischief between him and Daisy by saying that the other was boasting about being unique. However, this led to the two becoming good friends. Also, when a branch got stuck in his gears, he tried to fix the problem himself, only to make himself derail in a tunnel.
Harvey is a relentlessly cheery, big-hearted, helpful crane engine. He has a very unusual shape, due to his crane attachment atop his boiler, which he can be sensitive about should other engines make fun of it. However, he is very able to show that his crane is very useful in lifting cargo, trucks, and sometimes some smaller engines.
He has a booming, thoughtful voice and large wooden buffers. He is happy to work anywhere, ready to help clear up after an accident, and offer words of care, comfort, and advice.
Harvey is painted burgundy with yellow and red lining and brown, square, wooden buffers. His name is written in yellow on his sides and the number "27" is written on both sides of his crane arm in yellow.
Harvey is based on Dübs Crane Engine No. 4101, nicknamed "Dubsy", built in Glasgow, Scotland. "Dubsy" is presently based at the Foxfield Railway in Blythe Bridge, Staffordshire, England.
- Season 6 - Harvey to the Rescue and No Sleep for Cranky
- Season 7 - The Spotless Record (does not speak), Toby's Windmill (does not speak), Bad Day at Castle Loch, Peace and Quiet and Three Cheers for Thomas (deleted scene)
- Season 8 - Thomas and the Tuba, Thomas Saves the Day, Percy's Big Mistake (does not speak), Thomas Gets it Right (cameo), Fish (does not speak) and Emily's Adventure (does not speak)
- Season 9 - Thomas and the Rainbow and Thomas' New Trucks (does not speak)
- Season 10 - Edward Strikes Out
- Season 11 - Thomas and the Lighthouse (does not speak)
- Season 12 - Excellent Emily (does not speak) and Saved You! (does not speak)
- Season 17 - Gone Fishing and Thomas' Shortcut (does not speak)
- Season 18 - Toad's Adventure (cameo), Samson Sent for Scrap and Millie and the Volcano
- Season 20 - Bradford the Brake Van (cameo) and Blown Away
- Season 21 - A Most Singular Engine, Stuck in Gear and Emily in the Middle (cameo)
- Calling All Engines! (does not speak)
- The Great Discovery
- The Great Race (fantasy)
- Journey Beyond Sodor (cameo)
- Season 8 - Steamies and Diesels Sounds (cameo) and Helping One Another
- Calling All Engines! - Which Engine for Which Job?
- Season 10 - Right Sized Engine for the Job
- 2003 - Tour of Sodor, Story Time! (does not speak), Harvey to the Rescue!, Castle Celebrations!, Bridges (cameo), and Crane Strain!
- 2004 - Monster Mistake!, Crash Splash! (does not speak), Sky Shapes, Percy the Pirate, Travelling Thomas, Salty's Tales (does not speak) and Percy and the Dragon
- 2005 - Winter Watch, Super Slider (does not speak), Hooray, Henry (mentioned), Percy and the Big Mistake (cameo), The Dinosaur (does not speak), Stranded and Too Wet (does not speak)
- 2006 - First-class Carriage (cameo), Fun and James (cameo), Splendid Sight (cameo) Snow Shapes and Disgusted Diesels (does not speak)
- 2007 - Helpful Harvey, Driver's Decorations!, The Scottish Connection (cameo), Look and Hook, Edward Strikes Out (mentioned), Hooked Up and BoCo the Brave (does not speak)
- 2008 - Snow Trouble! (cameo), Thomas and the Lighthouse! (mentioned), The Ice Train! (does not speak), Big is Beautiful and Harvey's Hook
- 2009 - Spring Special (does not speak) and Spring Time Special (does not speak)
- 2010 - Disgusted Diesels (does not speak), Creepy Causeway and Thomas and the Rainbow!
- 2011 - Rosie's Rocks (does not speak), Salty's Surprise!, Taking a Break (mentioned), Rosie's Really Useful Scrap! (cameo) and Animal Adventure (does not speak)
- 2012 - Hooray for Henry (mentioned), Jack's Tracks! (mentioned), Sand Express (speaks in speech bubble only) and Message Mix-Up! (mentioned)
- 2013 - A Friend in Need, Spencer's Statue, Hover Bother! (does not speak), Coal and Treacle (mentioned), The Railway Rink (does not speak) and The Seaside Special (does not speak)
- 2014 - Thomas Takes a Shortcut (mentioned) and Harvey the Crane Engine
Harvey also appeared in the magazine stories, Harvey Saves the Harvest!, Mighty Magnet!, Stone Signal, Sunny Smile, and The Open Top Bus.
- 2013 - Gordon's Shortcut
- Keith Wickham (UK/US; seventeenth season onwards)
- Hikaru Midorikawa (Japan; sixth - eighth seasons)
- Toshiharu Sakurai (Japan; ninth season onwards, excluding the twentieth season)
- Kunihiro Kawamoto (Japan; twentieth season only)
- Enrique Cervantes (Latin America; seventeenth season only)
- Víctor Covarrubias (Latin America; eighteenth season onwards)
- Sigbjørn Solheim (Norway; seventeenth season only)
- Martin Lohmann (Germany; seventeenth season onwards)
- Roy Martens (Germany; Audio Book; Calling All Engines! only)
- Konstantin Graudus (Germany; Audio Books only)
- Paul Disbergen (The Netherlands)
- Jacek Król (Poland; seventeenth season onwards)
- Leopoldo Ballesteros (Spain; seventeenth season onwards)
- Denis Bespalyy (Russia; seventeenth season onwards)
- Keith Wickham gives Harvey a Scottish accent, reflecting his basis' origins.
- In the twelfth season episode Saved You!, Harvey appeared without a CGI face. However, a magazine had two images from this episode showing Harvey with one. These same pictures appeared again in the annual story Gordon Takes a Shortcut.
- Harvey has an angry face mask which has never been used in any episode he appears in on-screen, it was however present in a rare picture from the seventh season episode, Peace and Quiet.
- One of Harvey's models was recently on display at Drayton Manor but was returned to HiT Entertainment to use for reference for his CGI design. He has since been returned to the display.
- Harvey has gone through several changes throughout the television series. These include:
- Thomas' New Trucks and Right Sized Engine for the Job Learning Segment only:
- He has a claw instead of his normal hook.
- Season 12:
- His whistle sound changes.
- Season 17:
- He gains permanent head and tail lamps.
- He gains a brake pipe on his front and back, despite his basis not having one.
- Thomas' New Trucks and Right Sized Engine for the Job Learning Segment only:
- One of Harvey's face masks (Production-made) was sold from The Prop Gallery. Two of his face masks were sold to the Top Props preservation group.
- Much of Harvey's merchandise incorrectly depicts him as brown instead of red and also depict him with black buffers instead of brown.
- "Maybe my coming here wasn't such a good idea, Sir."
- "But the engines don't like me, I'm too different."
- "Different" is what makes you special."
- Harvey and the Fat Controller, Harvey to the Rescue, sixth season.
- "Hey there! You're a Really Useful Engine... or should I say, you're a Really Useful Crane!"
- "I'm a crane engine, so you can say either I suppose."
- "Oooh, look Ben. It's Harvey! What's he doing down at the docks?"
- "He's probably trying to go fishing, Bill. Better put your hook in the water, Harvey, if you want to catch something!"
- Porter, Harvey, Bill and Ben, Gone Fishing, seventeenth season.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Adventures (sold only in Construction Crew 4-Pack)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (redesign)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- Wind-up (normal and metallic)
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- New Block
- Capsule Collection
Template:North Western Railway
de:Harvey es:Harvey pl:Hubcio he:הארווי hu:Harvey