The jaguar (Panthera onca) is the largest cat of the Americas and a formidable predator. It is also recognized as the national animal of Brazil and as the national mammal of Mexico. Its common name comes from the native Indian name ‘yaguara’, meaning ‘a beast that kills its prey with one bound’, and its power is clearly displayed by its muscular build, deep chest, large head, broad muzzle, and strong jaws. This remarkable cat possesses a visually striking coat of large black rosettes, mostly enclosing dark spots, set against golden brown to yellow fur, which pales to white on the cheeks, throat and underside. Melanistic forms are also relatively common, often called ‘black panthers’ in the Americas. Jaguars vary considerably in size in different regions, but genetic studies indicate that there are no subspecies. Jaguars found in the dense forested areas of the Amazon Basin are generally smaller and darker in colour than those found in more open terrain. The jaguar is crepuscular, which means it is active at dawn and dusk.
- Arizona Jaguar
- Black Jaguar
- Brazilian Jaguar
- Central American Jaguar
- European Jaguar
- Goldman's Jaguar
- Mexican Jaguar
- Pleistocene North American Jaguar
- Pleistocene South American Jaguar
- It played Rex in We're Back! An Amazon Animal's Story
- It played Yzma in The Mallard's New Groove
- It played Ursula in The Little Mer-Vixen (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Red Lion Wild Zord in Animal Rangers Wild Force
- It played Meatlug in How to Train Your Felid, How to Train Your Felid 2, and How to Train Your Felid: The Hidden World
- It played Bob Peterson in American Animals, Inc.
- It played Carnotaurus in AMAZON ANIMAL
- It played MePhone4S in South American Animal Insanity
- It played The Barracuda in Finding Nemo (Land animal style)
- It played Sulley in Amazon Animals, Inc.
- It played PDA in Battle For BFNAI
Big Cats (Eye Wonder)
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.