The iconic plains zebra (Equus quagga) is the most abundant and conspicuous of all Africa’s grazing animals. This species exhibits a large degree of diversity, and is currently separated into six subspecies based on variations in features such as coat patterning, the presence of a mane, extent of stripe coverage and body size. The plains zebra typically possesses relatively broad black stripes, which are vertical on the body, but become horizontal on the hindquarters. The presence of horizontal stripes on the legs and rump is, however, variable, with the extent of leg striping diminishing from the north to the south of the species' range. In some populations there may also be faint brown 'shadow' stripes between the main stripes. Various theories have been put forward to explain the function of zebra stripes, including dazzling predators and temperature regulation, but the most plausible theory appears to be that they serve a social function, stimulating group cohesion and grooming behaviour. Other methods of plains zebra communication include facial expressions, body movements, and sounds, such as a braying bark. An adaptable species, the plains zebra is capable of surviving in areas with coarse vegetation of little nutritional value, and is found at elevations up to 4,300 m. Although it has disappeared from many parts of its range, the plains zebra remains the most widespread and abundant equid on Earth. The plains zebra is often the first species to colonize unexploited areas of grassland, and is capable of traveling long distances to do so.
Plains Zebra Subspecies
- They played Odette, Derek, Queen Uberta and King William in The Artist Mare
- It played Buttercup in The Powerpuff Animals (NatureRules1 Style)
- It played Pegasus in Hercules (NatureRules1 Version)
- They played Bambi, Faline, Bambi's Mother, The Great Prince of the Forest and Ronno in Bambi (NatureRules1 Version)
- They played Annie, her parents and Grandpa George in WildlifeTales
- They played the Rhesus Macaques in Sahara Desert: The Secret Life of Sand
- They played Donkey in Shrek (NatureRules1 Version)
- It (along with Reticulated Giraffe) played Macrauchenia patachonica in North American Age series.
- It played Skunk in Kingdom Hearts XD (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Charonosaurus in Speckles the Leopard
- It played Squidward Tentacles in Spongebob Squarepants (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Samson the Horse in Sleeping Beauty (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Iguanodon in AFRICAN ANIMAL
- It played Francis in A Wildlife's Life and An African Animal's Life (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Optimus Prime in Transformers: The Last Knight (ABS-CBN Style)
- It played Dweeb in We're Back! An African Animal's Story (Samwei1234 Version)
- It played Lego in African Animal Mayhem
- It played Zed in 64 Zoo Lane (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Wallabee Beatles/Numbuh 4 in Codename: African Species Next Door
- It played Bubbles in Finding Nemo (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Ariel, Prince Eric and Princess Melody in The Little Mer-Zebra (NatureRules1 Version)
- It is played by Mustang in The Grizzly King, The Grizzly King II: Simba's Pride, Alaska Series (NatureRules1 Version), and Khumba (Samwei1234 Version).