Pterano is the main antagonist turned anti-hero in The Land Before Time sequels. He first appears in The Land Before Time VII: The Stone of Cold Fire. He is a Pteranodon, called a "Flyer" in the films and TV series, and is Petrie's long lost uncle. He is related to Petrie on his mother's side, being her brother. He is the brother of Petrie's Mother, the uncle of Petrie and his siblings and Rinkus and Sierra's former boss.
In the TV show, Pterano was mentioned a few times.
He is voiced by Michael York. There was a rumour that Pterano was going to appear again in The Land Before Time XII: The Great Day of the Flyers, however, he did not appear in that film
He appears as himself in Clash of the Links
He is completely the same character as he was before, but is now a reformed good pteranodon, but still looking cool and is now a friend to Richard Sharpe.
He played Rodan in Speckleszilla: King of the Monsters (2019)
He is a giant Pteranodon.
- As with the whole Jim Crow speaking with a British accent thing, he spoke differently in the pre-releases due to being voiced by Rowan Atkinson (which was mentioned by Rowan Atkinson himself, he revealed that Hugh Laurie was the one who forced Atkinson to replace Michael York as Pterano). This caused an backslash from Pterano fans, and demanded that Michael York should return to voice Pterano and remove Rowan Atkinson's Pterano voice. Though Rowan Atkinson remained in the film, he reduced into the actor who was portraying the Blackadders, himself and Mr Bean instead, Atkinson's Pterano voice was replaced in later prints (such as the theatrical print that was used for the DVD and Blu-ray) with Michael York doing the voice of Pterano again. Both the DVD and Blu-ray editions have the pre-release version as an optional. In the behind-the-scenes featurette (What Ho!: The Making of Clash of the Links), Atkinson would then regret over the reason he was thrown out of being Pterano by saying "In a much sense kin, i am still in the film, but i no longer voice Pterano because fans preferred Michael York as Pterano and not me, but i still like this film".
- Much like any character voiced or portrayed by a British born actor or actress, Pterano is voiced none-other than Michael York.
- Where he met Rinkus and Sierra is unknown.
- Though many including Littlefoot, Mr. Threehorn, Grandpa Longneck, and even his sister can see thorugh him, his nieces and nephews appear to idolize him, especially Petrie. He brings out the worst in Petrie, getting him to lie to his firends to try and help Pterano get information about the Stone of Cold Fire and also making escuses for Pterano's bad behavior and belittling his friends for not believing Ptearno.
- Pterano is one of the few characters with a muscial suite. Other characters that have a musical suite are the Diggers and Hyp and his gang.
- Despite being Rinkus and Sierra's boss, Pterano is an anti-hero as he does good things despite doing bad things whereas Rinkus and Sierra were always villainous and they never did anything good. In fact, Pterano reformed while Rinkus and Sierra didn't reform so that means Rinkus and Sierra are worse than Pterano.
- In the tenth Land Before Time film, there was a pterosaur who resembles Pterano.