Shane is an Australian tender engine who participated in The Great Railway Show. He competed in the strength competition.
Shane was invited to participate in the Great Railway Show, and was shipped to the Mainland with the other engines by ferry. He took part in the strength competition, and competed against Henry, Frieda, Hiro and Vinnie. The winner of the competition was left unknown.
He’s like BoCo the Metropolitan Vickers Diesel but Australian
Shane is a big, strong engine who has been working tirelessly to ensure he's in the best shape. Known as the "Whispering Giant", Shane's carefree ways make him many friends.
Shane is based on the South Australian Railways 520 class. The real engine carrying his number, Sir Malcolm Barclay-Harvey, is currently preserved by the SteamRanger Preservation Society at their workshops in Mount Barker, South Australia and is undergoing restoration to operational condition. Another locomotive, numbered 523, is preserved at the National Railway Museum in Port Adelaide, South Australia. Shane is modified to run on British railways, having a screwlink coupling and buffers on the back of his tender and being scaled down from broad gauge to standard gauge.
Shane is painted teal green with yellow lining, Australia's sporting colours. The number "520" is painted in white above his face and on his cab sides in yellow, and the letters "S.A.R" are painted on his tender sides in yellow.
- 2016 - The Great Race (cameo)
- Guess Who? Puzzles (does not speak)
- 2016 - Meet the Contenders: Shane of Australia (does not speak)
- Thomas & Friends Adventures Shorts - Shark Escape
- Great Race Friends Near and Far - Gina the Smart Steam Engine and Shane Surfs in the Slippery Snow
- Thomas' Aussie Football Adventure - Thomas Visits Shane in Melbourne, Thomas Dreams of Playing Australian Football, Thomas Coaches His First Game of Footy and Thomas Goes to the AFL Grand Final
- Matthew Richardson (Thomas' Aussie Football Adventure)
- Shane's nickname, the "Whispering Giant", was a real nickname the SAR 520 class had. Due to their long boilers, the real engines required blower assistance while in yards to prevent smoke from blowing into the cab, thus making them seem to quietly whisper.
- "G'Day, Thomas! Welcome to Australia!"
- Shane, when he sees Thomas arriving in his country, Thomas & Friends Adventures: Shark Escape
- Shane's catchphrase