Like other hyaenas, the striped hyena (Hyaena hyaena) is dog-like in appearance, with powerful forequarters and a back that slopes down towards the tail. It gets its name from the black stripes on the sides of the pale grey or beige coat, which is long and shaggy except for on the face and limbs. A crest of particularly long hair, running from the head to the tail, is erected in situations of conflict to make the hyaena look larger and more intimidating. The striped hyena has a long, thick neck, which along with the strong skull and jaw bones enables the hyena to break up dry bones. The black and white tail is long and bushy and the feet bear short, blunt claws.
- It played One of The Three Fates (along with Black Rat and Black-Billed Magpie) in Hercules (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Bridgit the Witch in The Artist Mare
- It played Procoptodon in Monsoon Age Series
- It played Buttercup in The Powerpuff Hyenas, The Powerpuff Hyenas Movie, and The Powerpuff Hyenas (2016)
- It played Ice Bear in We Bare Hyenas and We Bare Hyenas: The Movie