The Railway Series
Thomas insulted Terence for having caterpillar tracks, but regretted it after Terence pulled him from a snowdrift.
Terence was helping build a barn on the day Victoria was sent back to Thomas' Branch Line. After swerving for a boulder by the Hackenbeck tunnel his trailer fell down the cutting and balanced dangerously on a tree.
Thomas & Friends
As in the Railway Series, Terence went to rescue Thomas when he got stuck in the snow. He later helped Mrs. Kyndley, when her house was snowed up, and looked after her house when she went with the engines to a Christmas Party. In the second season, he befriended Duck while Thomas was at the works, and attended the Christmas Party at Tidmouth.
In the third series, he helped Trevor with the planting of new trees in the forest after a storm and assured Henry that the forest would look better than ever before. He also got trapped near a level crossing when Mavis got stuck and blocked the road. When Bertie got stuck in the mud at the Vicar of Wellsworth's party, Terence used strong ropes to pull him out. Later, when villagers were stranded by snow, Terence helped them by ploughing the snow away. In the fourth season, he was seen working at a farm near where Sir Handel had an accident.
In the sixth season, he helped clear away fallen rock on the line which had derailed Thomas, and almost Toby. He was later seen ploughing in a field, when Duncan lost his whistle trying to surprise him.
In the seventh season, he helped clear away a tree that had fallen on the line, and pulled Elizabeth out of the snow.
In The Great Discovery, when Thomas went missing, Terence helped with the search for him, and once Thomas was found, Terence informed Harvey of the news.
In the twenty-first season, Terence took a shortcut over a frozen lake while collecting Christmas trees for the holiday market, but in the process the ice began to break. While Thomas did rescue Terence, the Christmas tree was lost.
Terence is an assertive, orange tractor with caterpillar tracks. The engines find these very unusual, but Terence is very capable of proving that he does not need rails and that his tracks allow him to go practically anywhere. He takes any teasing in the name of fun and is happy to get on with his job, usually partaking in agricultural work. Terence never hesitates to assist in emergencies or sticky situations, road or rail, due to his helpful, forgiving nature. His tracks are particularly invaluable in harsh winter conditions when snow can affect transport across the Island. He may be slow, but he is versatile, adaptable, and helpful. He can usually be found transporting agricultural produce or cheerily ploughing fields beside Thomas's branch line.
Terence is based on a Caterpillar Model Seventy; the largest, and last design of petrol-powered tractors in Caterpillar's range. The Crawler Tractors share the same basis.
Terence is painted orange with grey caterpillars and a black engine and exhaust pipe.
- Tank Engine Thomas Again - Thomas, Terence and the Snow, and Thomas and Bertie (mentioned)
- More About Thomas the Tank Engine - The Runaway (mentioned)
- Toby, Trucks and Trouble - Toby Takes the Road
- Thomas and Victoria - Toby's Vintage Train
- 1979 - Annual
- 1980 - Annual
- 1984 - Thomas's Christmas Party
- 1985 - Annual
- 1986 - Annual
- 1987 - The Island of Sodor: Its People, History and Railways (mentioned) and Annual
- 1990 - Annual
- 1992 - Thomas and the Hurricane
- 1993 - Annual
- 1994 - Annual
- 1996 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The Complete Collection and Annual
- 2005 - Sodor: Reading Between the Lines (mentioned)
- 2007 - Thomas the Tank Engine: The New Collection
- Season 1 - Thomas, Terence and the Snow, Thomas and Bertie (mentioned), and Thomas' Christmas Party (does not speak)
- Season 2 - The Runaway, Ghost Train (deleted scene), and Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree (cameo)
- Season 3 - Henry's Forest, Mavis (cameo), Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party, and Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure
- Season 4 - Four Little Engines (cameo)
- Season 5 - James and the Trouble with Trees, Happy Ever After, and Rusty and the Boulder (cameo)
- Season 6 - The Fogman (cameo) and Faulty Whistles (does not speak)
- Season 7 - Toby's Windmill (does not speak) and Not So Hasty Puddings (does not speak)
- Season 21 - Terence Breaks the Ice
He may appear in the twenty-second season.
- 2008 - The Great Discovery (does not speak)
- 1987 - Thomas' Christmas Party and Thomas, Terence and the Snow
- 1988 - Thomas and Bertie (mentioned) and The Runaway
- 1989 - Clearing Up (does not speak)
- 1990 - Trouble in the Tunnel and Henry's Forest (does not speak)
- 1993 - Trevor to the Rescue!
- 1994 - The Hot Soup Special!, The Nature Bus! (does not speak), Thomas Keeps a Secret! and Treasure Hunting Tractor!
- 1995 - Night Lights
- 1996 - Going Slowly!, The Hay Engine! and Pulling and Ploughing!
- 2000 - Terence and Trevor!, A Special Story About Terence and Painting the Shed (mentioned)
- 2001 - Mister Mighty!, Midnight Mavis (does not speak), A Special Story About Stepney and Pulling the Post
- 2002 - The Winning Shot (does not speak)
- 2003 - Slip and Grip!, A Foggy Friend (cameo) and Really Fast Food!
- 2004 - Terence's Little Lamb, Henry's Forest, Proud and Loud (cameo) and Frying Tonight (does not speak)
- 2005 - Sweet Scent (cameo), Tunnel Trouble (cameo), Tractor Engine and Naughty or Nice?
- 2007 - Blown About!, The Lost Spring, Wheely Useful and Wet Wait
- 2008 - Funny Faces! (does not speak)
- 2010 - Farm Fun! (does not speak) and Pulling the Post
- 2011 - Terence and Trevor!, Wet Wait, Market Day (does not speak), Really Red (does not speak), Snow Play, Party Time, and Perfect Plough
- 2012 - Sand Express (does not speak), and Messy Monster! (does not speak)
- 2013 - A Friend in Need, Bulgy's Back, Seeing Red! (does not speak), and The Seaside Special (does not speak)
- 2014 - Prickly Pig! and Fever! (mentioned)
Terence also appeared in the magazine stories, Christmas Puddings, Diesel Display, Good Games, Bad Sport!, Holiday Havoc!, Percy and Terence, Rude James, Size Wise, Take Off with Terence, and The Huge Horses!.
- 1985 - Thomas and the Important Visitor (does not speak) and Unhappy Landing (mentioned)
- 1986 - Terence Takes a Bath
- 1987 - Lost in the Snow (mentioned)
- 1988 - Terence Turns Pot Hunter
- 1990 - Hosepipes and Shunters
- 1993 - Thomas and the Snow Block
- 1994 - Bertie the Snow Bus
- 1996 - James Gets Cracking (does not speak)
- 2001 - Donald and Douglas
- Tom Stourton (UK/US; twenty-first season onwards)
- Yasuhiko Kawazu (Japan; first - fifth seasons)
- Daniel del Roble (Latin America; twenty-first season onwards)
- Michael Griem (Germany; Audio Books only)
- Terence is drawn with a cab, but without his widow's peak in Thomas's Christmas Party.
- Terence's television model is currently on display at Drayton Manor. His plough however has been broken since the display opened.
- According to The Thomas the Tank Engine Man, Terence was originally going to be called "Terry", but was later changed to the current and more formal version of the name.
- Terence has a detachable plough.
- According to a magazine article, he sometimes works on Farmer Trotter's Pig Farm.
- In some merchandising and books, Terence's name is sometimes misspelt as "Terrence".
- In the 1995 annual story, James Gets Cracking, Terence's driver was revealed to be named Farmer Finney. However, he has been driven by Jem Cole, Farmer McColl, and Farmer Collett once before. In a deleted scene of Ghost Train, Terence was driven by Sam the Farmer
- Terence's French name was Thierry in the Classic Series.
- He was only ever shown with two face masks in the Classic Series, both of which were smiling, though he was illustrated with a wider variety of expressions in the Railway Series, annuals, and magazine stories.
- Terence had some modifications in the twenty-first season, including:
- Losing his widow's peak.
- Gaining eyebrows.
- His face also became more elongated, covering his entire front, and lost the small indents it originally had.
- Gained rivets around his front.
- His front fender disappeared.
- His rear drawbar changed in style, and he also gained a coupling loop on his front.
- Up until Season 21, Terence never had any eyebrows in the television series, although he has eyebrows in some illustrations and merchandise.
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (black wheels, orange wheels, tractor wheels, all discontinued)
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (discontinued)
- TrackMaster (discontinued)
- Thomas Engine Collection Series (discontinued)
- Mini Die Cast Collection (discontinued)
- Thomas Town (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
- My First Thomas (discontinued)
- My Thomas Story Library (discontinued)
- De Agostini (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (discontinued)
- Capsule Plarail
- Pocket Fantasy (discontinued)
- Departing Now (discontinued)