- "Well, well, well! The Brothers Grim: Smashed, Broken and Sunk!"
- ―Thomas, Horrid Lorry, fifth season
The Horrid Lorries, individually referred to as Lorry 1, Lorry 2 and Lorry 3 are three small lorries who are incredibly rude to the other engines.
When Percy was late one day, Cranky suggested that a lorry should do his work. True to his word (and delight), three red, incredibly rude lorries arrived the next day. Lorry 2 called Percy a lump of steaming scrap iron. Lorry 1 called Percy a "little green goblin on wheels" and told him he would be scrapped. Lorry 1 also insulted Thomas and James.
At the quarry, Toby encountered Lorry 2, who told Toby that he belonged in a museum and also told him to "toodle off," saying that Toby was not useful. Toby tried to find work at the mill, but Lorry 3 was there already. He said that the three lorries were doing the "slow" engines' work now, while the foreman said that times were changing.
Of course, all three got their comeuppance in due course: Lorry 2 fell off a mountainside (in front of Toby; Percy ironically echoed the "steaming scrap iron" line to him, while Toby brought up the usefulness insult), Lorry 3 broke down after being overloaded with flour and was brought to the docks by Butch and Lorry 1 reversed into the sea. Later, Thomas saw the three lorries and due to the impact of their damage, he nicknamed them "Smashed" (Lorry 2), "Broken" (Lorry 3), and "Sunk" (Lorry 1). The lorries were then sent away and never returned.
The Lorries were pompous, mean and rude towards the engines. They believed that the railway was inferior to the roadways and also enjoyed teasing the engines for their appearances.
The lorries seem to be based on Foden OG range lorries, which were once a common sight around railway yards.
The Horrid Lorries are painted a brownish-red. They sometimes have grey tarpaulins over their beds.
- Season 5 - Horrid Lorry
Faceless and Repainted:
- Season 5 - Toby and the Flood, Double Teething Troubles, Stepney Gets Lost and Rusty and the Boulder
- Season 6 - Salty's Secret and Percy and the Haunted Mine (Lorry 2 only; scrap model)
- Season 7 - The Spotless Record, Toby's Windmill (Lorry 2 only), Fergus Breaks the Rules (Lorry 2 only; scrap model), Harold and the Flying Horse and Three Cheers for Thomas
- Season 8 - Thomas and the Tuba, Percy's Big Mistake, Emily's New Route, Edward the Great, Emily's Adventure (Lorry 1 only), Chickens to School, Too Hot for Thomas and Percy and the Magic Carpet
- Season 9 - Molly's Special Special and Emily Knows Best
- Season 10 - Thomas' Tricky Tree, Toby's Afternoon Off, Toby's New Shed, Edward Strikes Out, Emily and the Special Coaches and James the Second Best
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad
- Calling All Engines!
- The Great Discovery
- 2001 - Lorry Trouble (Lorries 1 and 2), Hill Spill! (Lorries 1 and 2) and Eye-in-the-Sky (Lorries 1 and 2; do not speak)
- 2002 - Take Cover! (Lorry 1; does not speak), In the Picture (Lorries 2 and 3; do not speak) and Sodor Goes Pop! (Lorries 1 and 2)
- 2003 - The Big Hero (Lorries 1 and 2), Build or Bust! (Lorries 1 and 2), Queen of the Road! (Lorries 1 and 2), Broken Bridges (Lorries 1 and 2) and Revving Racers (Lorries 1 and 2)
- 2005 - Bus, Stop! (Unknown Lorry; possible cameo) and Sorry Lorry (Lorry 1 only)
- 2006 - Wait with Freight (Lorry 1) and Heavy Load (Lorries 1 and 2)
- 2007 - Wet Wait (Lorry 2)
- 2008 - May Day Rescue (Lorry 1)
- 2010 - Perfect Picture! (Lorry 1; does not speak) and Carnival Costume (Unknown Lorry; cameo)
- 2011 - Wet Wait (Lorry 2)
- 2012 - Timber Tower (Lorries 1 and 2) and Sand Express (Lorries 1 and 2; do not speak)
- 2013 - The Seaside Special (Lorries 1 and 2; do not speak)
The Horrid Lorries also appear in the magazine stories, A Colourful Christmas, A Special Story about Steam, Bumpers and Buffers, Coal Weather, Feeding Time, Fun With Friends, Good Games, Bad Sport!, Lorry Loads, Road Train, Slow Down, Bertie!, Sodor Goes Pop!, The Best Bridge and The Mountain Railway.
- Lorry 1 - Tetsu Inada (Japan)
- Lorry 2 - Moriya Endo (Japan)
- Lorry 3 - Kōzō Shioya (Japan)
- After their episode, the lorry models had their faces and registration plates removed and were used as props. Faceless Horrid Lorry models are on display at Drayton Manor.
- A fourth Horrid Lorry, painted yellow, is seen at the crossing in the book, Thomas and Toby. A green Horrid Lorry can also be found on an official 65th anniversary board game. In addition, on an earlier board game, while Lorry 1 is painted red, Lorries 2 and 3 are painted yellow and green respectively. There is also a "Lorry 4" painted blue.
- The Official Website, as well as various magazine articles and file facts, state that the Lorries were "especially built to work at Sodor Construction Company". It is therefore possible that they may have been originally intended to be a part of the Pack.
- A similar looking lorry appeared in the magazine story, The Carnival. However, this Lorry was introduced four months before the fifth season episode, Horrid Lorry, in which the Horrid Lorries made their debut appearances.
- Their engine sounds are shared with Bertie the Bus.
- Out of all three lorries Lorry 1 was the only one to have a majority of the merchandising
- ERTL (all three; discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (all three; discontinued)
- Take Along (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Motor Road and Rail (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- My First Thomas (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Nakayoshi (Lorry 1; discontinued)
- Trading Cards (all three; discontinued)
The Horrid Lorries play Hoodboom, Hoodstormer, Grim Keeper, Grim, Hoodblaster, Hoodoo, Heckler and Xowar
They are Andre's minions.