Possibly mistaken for mermaids by Christopher Columbus on a voyage to America, the West Indian manatee (Trichechus manatus) is a large, rotund, aquatic mammal. The tough skin is grey-brown with sparse hairs covering the body and many bristles on the muzzle. The front limbs are short flippers and the body tapers to a flat, paddle-shaped tail that distinguishes this species from the related dugong (Dugong dugon), which posses a fluke-like tail. A unique feature (amongst mammals) of the manatee is the constant replacement of molar teeth; new teeth enter at the back of the jaw and replace old and worn teeth at the front. Recent evidence suggests that manatees may possess a unique sixth sense that enables them to detect pressure changes through sensory hairs.
- It played Carlos in Thomas and Friends (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Grizz in We Bare Sirenians and We Bare Sirenians: The Movie
- It played Cape Buffalo in Madagascar Series (NatureRules1 Version)
- It played Emma (Mermaid) in Mako Everglades Animals and Everglades: Just Add Animals
- It played Gibson in Super Everglades Animal Team Hyperforce Go!
Is a Crocodile a Reptile?